Portfolio Director (Nairobi-based)
Position Title: Portfolio Director
Supervisor: VP Lending & Portfolio Management, Africa Location: Nairobi, Kenya
Since 1994, Global Partnerships (GP) has been dedicated to its mission of expanding opportunity for people living in poverty. For the last 12 years, GP has been a pioneer in impact investing – supporting social enterprises in developing countries that deliver market-based products and services which empower people living in poverty to earn a living, provide for the basic needs of their families, and improve their lives.
Through its Funds, GP has invested more than $300 million across 19 countries, positively impacting the lives of more than 10 million people. It has a consistent and exceptional track record of Fund performance. GP currently invests in partners in Latin America, the Caribbean, and sub-Saharan Africa. The GP team is comprised of 36 mission driven, dedicated, high-performing colleagues working from offices in Seattle, WA; Managua, Nicaragua; and Nairobi, Kenya.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Develops a broad knowledge of all partner candidates (MFIs/Agricultural Coops and Enterprises/Other Social Enterprises) operating in targeted countries, and identifies candidates for GP funding.
- Acts as the primary relationship officer for a portfolio of high-impact social enterprises known as “partners”.
- Proactively seeks opportunities to build the debt portfolio through networking and other means of identifying new partners.
- Schedules, conducts and oversees screen visits to partner candidates to determine whether they are a good fit for GP funding.
- Analyzes the needs, strengths and weaknesses of the candidates and prepares or collaborates with the Impact and Research Team in preparing the Investment Brief.
- Works in conjunction with the Impact and Research Team, Social Investment Team Regional Vice President, and other members of the Social Investment Team to ensure that candidates are aligned or are likely to become aligned with GP’s program initiatives.
- Negotiates possible loan transactions with the partner candidates, issues letters of interest with accompanying term sheets, and works with partner candidates to close negotiations that result in signed term sheets.
- Conducts a comprehensive due diligence with the partner candidate and completes a well-written due diligence report in the required format.
- Properly structures loan proposals to ensure risk is properly controlled.
- Reviews all drafts of due diligence reports to ensure they are comprehensive, accurate, and worthy of presentation to the managers of the Social Investment Team, to the Investment Committee, and to certain investors for whom consent is required.
- Works closely with the loan closing team, legal counsel, and partner management to ensure that loans are closed in a timely and prudent manner. Ensures that the borrower understands the key terms and responsibilities of the loan contract.
- Reviews pipeline frequently with Social Investment Team management to ensure that Fund priorities and partner needs are addressed, and strategies for proper fund investment are implemented.
- Answers questions and may otherwise participate in presentations to the Board Investment Committee to obtain approval for loans/investments.
- Shares information and insight with the management of the Social Investment Team, to identify trends and potential problems relative to credit risk; provides recommendations on action steps to be taken to strengthen portfolio management and reduce risk to fund performance.
- Collaborates with the credit monitoring team to provide information and insight into the credit risk of partners and partner candidates. Retains responsibility for the credit relationship and credit performance of the borrower throughout the term of the loan(s).
- Ensures that action steps relative to compliance with loan agreements as well as needed improvements in partner performance are carried out by the partner organizations.
- Maintains strong relationships with partner CEOs/Directors to promote the GP brand, ensure that GP distinguishes itself as a provider of choice, and to be responsive to partner needs.
- Several years’ experience in a lending or credit administration position, preferably including experience in lending to agricultural organizations including cooperatives, microfinance institutions and other types of social enterprises or value chain businesses. The ideal candidate will have experience not only in lending to financial institutions and agricultural organizations, but also in receivables financing, inventory financing, and structuring loans for multiple types of businesses.
- Field experience in development programs, such as agricultural technical assistance, implementation of renewable resource/clean energy initiatives, or microenterprise training.
- Credit analysis experience for investments in social enterprises will be a plus, as is experience in trade finance and asset-based lending.
- Experience and demonstrated performance in restructuring and resolving problem loans.
- Experience in impact investing, with specific knowledge of the microfinance industry, agricultural cooperatives, and social enterprises and their key organizations in Sub- Saharan Africa. The ideal candidate will have extensive work experience in various countries.
- An advanced degree in business administration, finance, or a similar field.
- A high level of verbal fluency and advanced writing skills in English. Proficiency in French and Swahili is highly desirable.
- A strong interest in and personal commitment to impactful solutions that reduce poverty and need in Africa.
- Must be able to travel frequently throughout Africa.
HOW TO APPLY
If interested, please send the following documents to firstname.lastname@example.org and include your name and the title of the position that you’re applying for in the Subject line. Failure to do so may cause a delay in reviewing your application. Interviews with final candidates are required.
Required Application Documents:
- Cover letter
- Resume – please list your nationality and current address
- Finalists will be asked to submit references: name, contact information
This position will remain open until filled. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.